Facing nothing but delays in shipping, the future of my rescued bees was not looking good last night.  Finally, I made some calls to area beekeeping associations and no one seemed to have any bees they could offer.  Finally, someone suggested I try Dr. Thompson in Joplin, MO.  I put a call in to him this morning and left a message.  He returned my call, listened to my plight with the rescue bees and offered to provide a queen and five frames of brood, eggs and bees.  Just exactly what I and the bees needed!!

My wife, Joan and her sister, Michele, took a ride with me to Joplin.  About a 30 minute drive to Dr. Thompson’s bee yard.  I took a five frame nuc box with me and he fixed me up with five frames of bees, brood, eggs and a nice Carniolan queen.  We quickly returned home with the bees riding in the trunk of Joan’s car, safely tucked away in the nuc box.  I opened the rescue hive and found that I still had about two pounds of healthy bees and they were consuming sugar syrup.  I sprayed both groups of bees with a mix of sugar syrup, Spearmint oil and Lemon Grass oil.  The combination covers all scents, so the bees cannot communicate, nor can they recognize a new queen nor other bees being introduced to the colony.  This method seems to work well and I don’t need to use smoke to calm the bees.  In went the five frames from Dr. Thompson, along with five frames of new beeswax foundation.  They have their new home.

Within a half an hour, the entire new colony were calmed down, consuming sugar syrup and making orientation flights….sort of like “rebooting their GPS system.”Soon it will be dark and all the bees will be busily working inside the hive and at first sun, the foraging will begin anew.  One fine colony of bees, working together for the common good of the hive.  Morale will be normal with a strong queen scent to encourage their work.  The queen will be laying eggs…with this much food available…something around 1,200 eggs each day and the colony will very quickly grow stronger and stronger.

Still a two to three week wait for the two package of bees I have coming, but I will now be able to put the two packages together, starting the colony with six pounds of bees and a new queen.  They should build up and survive the winter, even if I don’t get any honey from them this year.  The real pleasant surprise was to discover that Dr. Thompson is using many of the same experimental methods that I’m using!  He’s also using essential oils, plastic comb for drone (male bee) eggs, oil traps to capture annoying Small Hive Beetles and several other organic methods of bee management.  I am not alone in my thinking!

So, this evening, we have order out of chaos in the world of Colony A.

Advertisements