We’ve had extremely hot and humid weather, so I decided to check on Colony B early, before the heat became excessive.  They were busy working at 8 A.M. and the temperature was already 82 degrees, so it sounded like a good time to me.  They have been consuming a lot of sugar syrup…between one and two quarts a day, so I thought comb building must be going well.  I didn’t want to disturb them, more than necessary, but could see nearly 5 full frames of comb drawn out.  Wonderful!  Even a bit of excessive burr comb…comb in the wrong places, so removed that.  I was surprised to see that they had fully drawn comb on some of the plastic frame/foundation I put in the hive for them, even before drawing comb on wood frames with beeswax foundation!  So, I removed 4 frames of wood/wax they had not touched yet and replaced them with plastic.  I also gave them a second hive body with 10 frames of plastic foundation and installed a beetle trap to catch any Small Hive Beetles.

At the same time, I put a “sticky board” in Colony A, so I can catch Varroa Mites and get something of a count on Varroa infestation, by checking the sticky board, since the mites fall and are trapped in the mineral oil.  While I was at it, I put a medicated “frosting” in the entrance, with Spearmint oil and vegetable grease.  The bees didn’t care much for that, but within a half an hour they were back to normal, walking through the frosting, which will help with Varroa and Trachael mite problems.

Colony B Second Hive Body

About these ads